Today is my New Year's, pre-New Year's...if that makes sense. We are only weeks away from 1 of several major holidays and I refuse to spend another year being "busy" through the holidays. Lately my "busy" schedule has been a major topic of discussion in our house. In fact, I came home the other day and wrote down my daily work schedule, in addition to everything I do at home and discovered that after working 40 hours a week, I'm coming home and working another 20-25 hours, Monday-Friday...that doesn't even include the weekend or hours I spend volunteering. Enough is enough folks! This mid-20s girl is taking her life back.
In order for me to get started on this week-long mission to stop being the "busy-bee" that I am, I'm taking a look at why I'm the busy girl. Here's some of the reasons why I've become this way:
1. I think I allow my busyness to validate my self-worth. Yep, I said it. I buy into this American way of life and feel that, if I'm not busy, I must be lazy/not working enough, etc.
2. I feel that if I let someone else take on a project, I won't be as pleased with the results.
3. I'm afraid that if I don't do something, it won't get done.
4. I struggle with saying 'no' to people.
Okay, these are just a few of the reasons why I think I am so busy. So, I'm going to begin the week by tackling these "hinderances" in my path. Here's how I plan on making that happen:
1. I will not be a slave to my blackberry this week.
2. I will not let other people dictate or create my schedule. I refuse to be the "yes" girl. Recently, I saw a quote that said, "If you want something done, ask the busy girl"....I quickly realized that I don't want to be the lazy person's yes girl anymore!
3. I'm not going to obsess over the disasters my dogs seem to be creating on a daily basis in my home. My friends and family are dog-lovers and I need to start embracing the fact that I do not have a full-time staff like Martha Stewart that will take care of the daily disasters.
4. I'm going to take time to pursue my dreams this week.
5. I'm going to spend more time reading.
These are just a few of the ways I plan to get started. I realized that I can't enjoy, "Our Old Green House," if I'm too busy being busy. So this week I plan on spending more time loving on the ones I love and taking time to breathe.
|Can't wait for daily morning walks and runs with this girl|
|Can't wait for sunsets with the one I love|
|Excited for meals and great conversations with family and friends in one of my most favorite spots.|
Happy Sunday afternoon, everyone!